SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. – Lake Superior State hockey, in conjunction with the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA), has released its schedule for the 2020-21 season.
The Lakers schedule consists of 25 games total, including seven non-conference meetings and 18 conference games. All contests will be played against WCHA opponents this season, including the non-conference matches.
Lake Superior State will continue to comply with all federal, state, and local mandates as well as both the NCAA and the WCHA guidelines. In addition, the Four Pillars of Laker Safety (social distancing; mask/face covering; sanitization; personal/social responsibility) will be followed at all athletic events. For the reasons stated above, the decision on capacity that will be allowed in the Taffy Abel Arena has yet to be finalized. An announcement on the attendance policy and the pertaining ticketing information will be available on lssulakers.com within the next few weeks.
All Laker home and away games during the 2020-21 season will be available to watch live on FloHockey, the WCHA’s streaming partner. For more information or to sign up for a subscription, visit https://www.flohockey.tv/
Non-conference play will begin on Saturday, Nov. 21 when the Lakers host the Michigan Tech Huskies in a weekend series. The Lakers non-conference play will conclude on Monday, Dec. 7 following a home series against Alabama-Huntsville. LSSU’s non-conference schedule is listed below – times have not yet been determined:
- Saturday, Nov. 21 vs. Michigan Tech
- Sunday, Nov. 22 vs. Michigan Tech
- Wednesday, Nov. 25 at Northern Michigan
- Friday, Nov. 27 vs. Ferris State
- Sunday, Nov. 29 at Ferris State
- Sunday, Dec. 6 vs. Alabama Huntsville
- Monday, Dec. 7 vs. Alabama Huntsville
The Lakers will play a single conference game on Wednesday, Dec. 2 against Northern Michigan at home. Due to a scheduling conflict, the conference game had to be shifted to an earlier date. The 18-game conference schedule officially opens on Jan. 1, 2021 and will conclude the weekend of March 5-6, 2021. The Lakers will play a two-game series against each of the other nine WCHA teams to complete the 18-game season. LSSU’s conference schedule is listed below – times have not yet been determined:
- Wednesday, Dec 2 vs. Northern Michigan
- Friday, Jan. 1 & Saturday, Jan. 2 vs. Alaska
- Friday, Jan. 8 & Saturday, Jan. 9 at Alaska Anchorage
- Friday, Jan. 15 & Saturday, Jan. 16 vs. Minnesota State
- Friday, Jan. 22 & Saturday, Jan. 23 at Michigan Tech
- Friday, Jan. 29 & Saturday, Jan. 30 at Bemidji State
- Friday, Feb. 5 vs. Northern Michigan
- Friday, Feb. 12 & Saturday, Feb. 13 at Bowling Green
- Friday, Feb. 19 & Saturday, Feb. 20 vs. Alabama Huntsville
- Friday, Feb. 26 & Saturday, Feb. 27 Ferris State (Home-and-home series, locations TBD)
Following the final weekend of scheduled play, the conference will reserve the first weekend of March for any makeup games. The WCHA playoffs are set for the weekends of March 12-13, 2021 and March 19-20, 2021. The NCAA hockey season will conclude with the NCAA Regionals on the weekend of March 26-27, 2021, followed by the Frozen Four on April 9-10, 2021 in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Visit lssulakers.com for more information.
Follow Laker hockey on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for news, updates & more!