Fire destroys kitchen of local home; man escapes with minor smoke inhalation

BAY MILLS TWP – Just after the noon hour on Tuesday, the Bay Mills Township Fire Department were dispatched to a home at 7462 W 6 Mile Rd in Brimley due a a fire that appeared to have started in the kitchen. Heavy smoke was billowing from the home and the ladder truck was called in the flood the roof and prevent the fire from breaking through.

It was also learned that the owner, Brian Steele, was home at the time, asleep. Once the fire broke, the fire alarms went off, but the owner didn’t hear them. His dogs were also home and they woke him. Mr. Steele was able to make his way from his room to the outside suffering minor smoke inhalation. He was treated at the scene and released.

Fire department personnel reported that they believe a stove burner was left on and a towel was left too close. The towel ignited and subsequently destroyed the kitchen. The remainder of the home essentially remained untouched other than water and smoke damage. The owners did have insurance on their home.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*